Staff contact, student medication, illness procedures, and more

Phone Number


  • 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.


  •  Taisha Israel, School Health Aide
  •  Jessica Toutebon, Public Health Nurse

Student Health at Halley ES

The School Health Aide and the Public Health Nurse are Fairfax County Health Department employees who work in collaboration with the school staff. Together we promote a safe and healthy educational environment by providing health support services and health promotion activities in the school setting.

Health Information Form

The Health Information Form is to be completed by the parent or guardian at the start of each school year. The completed form is to be returned to the school health room.

When to Stay Home

Students with symptoms, such as rashes, watery and inflamed eyes, fever, sore throat, vomiting, or diarrhea, should stay home until a doctor evaluates their symptoms and determines whether or not they are contagious. The Fairfax County Department of Health recommends that children remain home fever-free for 24 hours after an illness prior to returning to school. Remember to use the online attendance form or call the Attendance Line at 703-551-5757 to report your child’s absence.

When Should I Send My Child to School?

Prescription Medications

Children who need to take medication during school hours must have a signed Medication Authorization, Release, and Indemnification Form. Prescription medications require the signature of both the parent/guardian and the healthcare provider. Inhalers and EpiPens require authorization forms.

Over-the-counter Medications

Over-the-counter (OTC) medications are drugs that can be purchased without a healthcare provider's prescription and are used for the relief of symptoms on a temporary basis.

With parent/guardian and physician authorization, OTC medications may be given on an "as needed" basis throughout the school year.

Parents/guardians may authorize limited use for 10 consecutive days with a completed Medication Authorization Form (such as cough medicine for cold symptoms).

OTC medications for pain relief ONLY for headaches, muscle aches, menstrual cramps or orthodontic pain may be given with parental/guardian permission and appropriate documentation. The medication must be supplied by the parent/guardian in its original container. Examples include Tylenol, Advil, Pamprin®. 

Transport of Medications to and from School

Parents must transport medications to and from school. All medications must be kept in the clinic and taken under adult supervision. Only certain emergency medications, such as diabetes medications, Epipen® and inhalers may be carried by the student with the authorization of both their parent/guardian(s) and healthcare provider.

Scheduling Medical Appointments

Please make every effort to schedule appointments outside of school hours. When this is not possible, please contact the school by the morning of the appointment, stating the time the child will be picked up. For safety reasons, parents must sign out children in the office.


When submitting an online attendance form or calling the attendance line (703-551-5757), please leave the following information

  • Your student’s name, teacher name, and specific information regarding the reason for your student’s absence.
  • If your student is ill, and has seen a health care provider, please be specific about your student’s condition. Examples include strep throat or pink eye.
  • If your student is ill, but has not seen a health care provider, please be specific about your student’s symptoms. Examples include fever, cough, sore throat, headache, diarrhea, or vomiting.

Release of Student from School

Only those individuals designated on the Emergency Care Information form will be contacted either to excuse or to take your student home. If the health room aide contacts you to excuse your student from school, established release procedures as outlined in FCPS Regulation 2234, will require the emergency contact for elementary students to sign the school release log.