Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.HORNET HAPPENINGS June 13, 2022
Dear Halley Family,
It is difficult to believe this school year is coming to an end! Despite all the challenges, twists and turns, we are proud of the resiliency of our students and staff, and enjoyed celebrating the achievements of this year. The Hornet Nation has worked together in remarkable ways to bring a joyous end of year experience to our kids. The community has remained steady and risen with us to keep kindness, hope, and empathy as models of support for all our students.
We'd like to take a moment to appreciate many of those involved this year:
- Thank you to our wonderful staff, who have overcome so much uncertainty this year, from viruses, a lack of substitutes, new assessments, and more - you are what makes "the magic happen" each day for our students!
- Thank you to our parents and guardians. Whether we saw you this year in the building or not, it is so clear to us that our students are well supported and ready to learn at school each day. Thank you!
- Thank you to our PTO, who do so many big and little things to enhance our school culture, to bring us together, to provide needed resources, and to help us celebrate our successes!
- Any finally, thank you to our students! You inspire us each and every day with your love for learning, your resilience, and the way you make us smile. Thank you for your hard work this year. Rest up this summer and don't forget to read a few good books! Please see the suggestions from our Halley staff here: 2022 Summer Book Suggestions from Halley Staff!!
We have some other staff members leaving due to moving out of state, changes in school districts, changes in careers, and other life transitions. These staff members are:
- Ms. Bailey, PS Early Childhood Inclusion Teacher
- Ms. Gibson, Instructional Assistant
- Ms. Matthews, 5th Grade
- Ms. Song, Kindergarten
- Ms. Chery, 5th Grade
- Ms. Zanger, 2nd Grade
- Ms. Sanderson, 1st Grade
- Ms. O’Boyle, 6th Grade
- Ms. Harmer, Psychologist
- Ms. Kidd-Himes, Instructional Assistant - Retiring
- Ms. McGregor, Instructional Assistant – Retiring
We wish these staff members the best on the next steps in their careers. We appreciate them sharing their gifts and talents with our school. They will be missed at Halley.
Have a beautiful and restorative summer. We can’t wait for next fall!
Blessings and Joy,
Mrs. Peerman, Mrs. Johnson-Tyler, and Mrs. Zamora
Summer Office Hours at Halley
Monday – Thursday
9:00am – 12:00pm
Please call for an appointment at 703-551-5700.
Save the Date! Thursday, August 18, 2022
Halley ES will have a combined Open House and
Back to School Night Extravaganza.
*Details and Time will be shared at a later date.
SOL Spring Score Preview
Want to know how your student did on their spring SOL tests before the official report? Starting today, families can see SOL scores in the Test History section of SIS ParentVUE. To access Test History, log into your ParentVUE account using a web browser (not the app).
You will see spring SOL test subjects, performance levels, and overall scores. Families will also receive an official SOL score report letter with more details by the end of July.
FYI - School Supplies
Halley’s Summer Reading and Math Challenges!
We are encouraging all rising 1st -6th grade students to participate in Halley’s Summer Reading and Math Challenges!
K-2 grade students are encouraged to read 10 books and complete a book recommendation.
3-5 grade students are encouraged to read 5 books and complete a book recommendation (books are typically longer).
- If you are in grades 2-6, reading logs/book recommendation form will be linked to Schoology and Thursday folder. Grades K-1 will receive a copy in Thursday folder only.
- Please return the reading log and book recommendation the first week of school. Last day to turn in logs will be August 26th. If you return your completed log, you will receive a POPSICLE (date TBD)!
Enjoy and Keep Reading!
Rising 1st-2nd Graders:
- ST Math 1 hour per week. Log on your ST Math Tracker.
- Practice counting to 100. Challenge yourself by starting at any number and going past 100.
- Practice counting backwards from any number 1-120.
- Practice skip counting by 2’s, 5’s, 10’s. Make it challenging and start a random number between 1-120.
- Practice counting coins and identifying their value.
Rising 3rd-6th Graders:
- ST Math 1 hour per week. Log on your ST Math Tracker.
- Master Multiplication!
- Please return the ST Math Tracker the first week of school.
- Last day to turn in logs will be August 26th. If you return your completed log, you will receive a “Jiji” surprise!
Other Summer Reading Resources:
Please encourage your student to read this summer!
Encourage your child to read whatever they want, whatever interests them, whatever they love! Want some help with book recommendations? Check out Find Your Next Book through the Fairfax County Public Library.
FAIRFAX COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY: Enjoy the 2022 “Summer Reading Adventure” at the Fairfax County Public Library. The program runs from June 10th to August 12th. Click here for more information.
BARNES AND NOBLE: Students in grades 1-6 earn a free book through the “Barnes and Noble Summer Reading Program.” Students can read eight books and bring their completed journal to a Barnes and Noble store between July 1st and August 31st. Click here for more information.
READING IS FUNDAMENTAL: Your child can go on a virtual summer road trip by reading books about the USA! Activities, suggested titles, and other ideas for parents can be found here. Click here for more information.
Summer Programs SAVE THE DATE!
July 11-29th - 9:40am to 1:40pm
Bridge to K
MARK YOUR CALENDARS
Monday, 07/11 - Friday, 07/29: Summer Programs (Young Scholars, SOAR, Bridge to K)
Thursday, 08/18: Combined Open House and Back To School Night Extravaganza; Details to follow
Monday, 08/22: First Day of School 2022/2023 School Year
Stay in touch!
Make sure to join us on Social Media!
8850 Cross Chase Circle, Fairfax Station 22039 | Phone: 703-551-5700
Attendance: 703-551-5757 or email HalleyES.Attendance